Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Airline 62-9052 stereo guitar amp

I found one of the Bass versions of this at a flea market several years ago. It was in horrible condition (very rusty) but only $30 so I hauled it home. There was no brand of any kind on mine but I found out that Valco sold them to several companies. I'm not sure if they are truly stereo since they only had one signal source going in from a guitar or bass. I think the amp is essentially a pair of Supro Thunderbolts in a single chassis. Probably lots of potential, especially as a guitar amp.

The cabinet of mine originally had two 12s. When I loaded it up I could hear one of the speakers bouncing around inside. Only one of the original speakers was present, a Jensen. It had a T-shirt or something stuffed between the back of the cone and the frame. I'm guessing that wasn't a good sign. I never did really test it out though. The other speaker was a 16 ohm Sunn 12" Lead Guitar speaker. I don't think either one was actually connected.

I went through the amp and replaced some parts but never could get it to work. It occurred to me later (Doh!) that I should have tested the output transformers before I started working on it. Perhaps they were bad as a result of someone trying to run the amp without the speakers hooked up correctly? I moved on to other projects but perhaps I should revisit it sometime. I know the OTs are available but since mine is in such horrid condition cosmetically I wonder if it's worth the effort. I do play bass, though, so it would be cool to get it going. Best part of my deal was that I got a quad of strong RCA 6L6GC blackplates out of it and the 12AX7s (I think RCAs too) were also good.

Sorry I can't really offer any useful tips. The website you linked seems to have quite a bit of info. I'll have to read through it more closely sometime.

I'm interested to hear your impressions of it. Please keep us updated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.