Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

You're not wrong but...

I agree but would add that now you are getting back into the classic good vs. evil, opps I meant tubes vs. SS debate.

At the end of the day I do agree that sound wise the classic 70's receiver was clearly not king of the hill. However it was a niche, a need, a preference, a style or what ever it was. But any way you describe it, it defined 70's audio and that big sound.

If ANYTHING good came out of those receivers it was this. A brief time where companies took pride in their product and were actually TRYING to make a better product than there competitor. Finally the consumer was the winner.

When anyone thinks of 70's audio what do they think of. Those hulking 125 watt monster receivers with all those lights, dials, knobs and 8 dozen filter switches. Even in the movies or TV what do you see on those sets - receivers.

I no longer own any receivers but SS does have a niche as well. It's not vintage or even tubes but I absolutely enjoy and would never give up my new NAD C275BEE power amp. And that's coming from a tube guy!!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.