Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Its funny when it comes to Japanese solid state gear in its comparative value and here is why.

If you go back to the mid to late 70s,a new Sansui 9090DB receiver cost between 349 and 425 on average.They were not sold in mid level or high end audio stores and this goes for Pioneer and later Marantz as well.
A Pioneer SX-1280 would sell for about 525 to 549.Keep in mind these were what these units sold for because they were sold at discount appliance stores such as Highland Appliance, and Fretter Appliance,Best buy,and J&R music world.There are many more places as well but I mentioned the Michigan based stores.

An Onkyo TX-4500mk2,sold for 750.00 and they didn't discount those because they were sold in mid to high end audio stores.
Now,if you look at the price of the Sansui,Pioneer,Marantz,or whatever,they are fetching buckoo money on the used market where the Onkyo is bringing very little. Who would have thought.

Pioneer,Marantz,and Sansui,all went into making high end products in later years that were sold i exclusive stores.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.