Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: You have to ask yourself what you are after

You have made a very good point Russ, particularly in light of the fact that top notch tuners are readilly available for net to nothing. For this reason, I have focused my vintage collecting on separates.

I still think that there are sound reasons why a person might still wan't to restore a receiver. The receiver my be an object of lust from youth. There are some receivers that have retained enough of their value that it is worth the restore. Certain Marantz and McIntosh models come to mind. There are also models where the performance is good enough to warrant a rebuild, as long as you don't plan to sell it (Kyocera, Yamaha, Denon, Luxman). This would make most sense if you DIY. If you paying someone, the list would be small (IMO).

Although the original poster was focusing on 70's ears receiver, if sound is what you are after, I would recommend looking to the 80's and even early 90's. Although many brands were on a downhill slide, Denon, Yamaha, Kyocera, Sony ES and Nakamichi made some very high quality equipment, which often only need minor work.

Dave

I

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.