Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Hi there! M1917 Enfield action in a sporter stock.

Long history on that action. More of those were used by the US forces in WWI than the Springfield. Mainly because they were already tooled up for the 1914 Enfield in 303 for the British Army, so it took very little to convert to 30-06.

Back in the 60's I sporterized a couple of 1903-A3 Springfields. The first, made by a typewriter company, was beautiful, as I spent a lot of time and money on cosmetics; but needed 3-4 shots to settle into a tight pattern. It also had a notchy action. Not good for hunting. The second was made by Remington, had really rough external finish; but shot 1" groups at 100 yds all day long. The first had a full floating barrel, the second was stocked in more classic fashion with 3.5 lbs. of upward pressure on the front end of the stock. It also had a much smoother action. Both were scope sighted, bolt handle turned down, Timney trigger fitted, an aftermarket trigger guard with a hinged floor plate, barrel cut off behind the front sight to 22" and then crowned, and a recoil pad.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.