Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Restoration Update

Got the SA-16 up and running again. I'm very impressed with the sound even after doing minimal work on it.

I had to mount a new terminal strip to replace the one that was damaged when the heater resistors burned up. Still not sure why that would have happened. I did figure out why one of the two output tubes died. One of the .022 uF ceramic coupling caps was leaky and the replacement tube started to red-plate. I was a little surprised because ceramics have a reputation for being somewhat indestructible. The coupler on the other dead tube's socket seems fine though, so that is still a mystery.

For now I just replaced the bad one with another ceramic because I wanted to hear the amp in stock condition. It sounds so good that I'm actually hesitant about replacing them. I do have some nice .033 uF Good-All PIOs so I'll use those if I decide to replace the ceramics.

Another surprise was that, even with the variac at 121.5v the voltages were very close to being spot on. I figured I would have to install higher value resistors in the power supply to adjust the voltages but it doesn't look to be a problem.

Next I'll be replacing all the electrolytics. The first cap will be a 35 uF 500v Panasonic film and I'll use 47 uF 450v Panasonic lytics for the others.

Edits: 09/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Restoration Update - FlaCharlie 16:12:21 09/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.