Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: B&O Hojttler Type S Speakers - great find or dud?

Hi Milton,

If you bought them for yourself to listen to driven with tube gear. I think you'll find that you did well, assuming that you have the original drivers. As you can see from the link below, a lot of older speakers like this (early 60's) have had the woofers blown because people would drive them with later transistor amps that were too powerful for them. You should unscrew the backs and see what you have.

If you don't have tube gear, look up Bold Eagle's resistor trick.

If you don't have the original drivers and they sound good, listen and enjoy. If they don't sound that good, you can probably adapt a car 6x9. Even if the woofers are not original, the cabinets are very nice. This would be a good project box. Original tweeter are supposed to be good for the era.

If you bought them to resell, you are probably SOL. Speakers from this era are not in demand unless they are particularly noteworthy. Rare is only valuable if something is sought after. There might be some interest if you are willing to sell in Japan.

Good luck!

Dave

Edits: 09/24/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.