Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Point-to-point wiring?

Eli,

That's kind of what I thought; but I also see "Teflon" featured in other kinds of wiring like interconnects and even speaker cables. My thought about that was "I wonder if they know PTFE can store charge on it's surface?"

We once had a line of powder coating spray guns that used PTFE as the internal surfaces. From the friction of the powder running against it, the PTFE would accept electrons from the powder, leaving the powder grains with a net positive charge. Once the PTFE stored enough charge and the electric field got strong enough, the electrons would then "hop" from site to site along the PTFE surface until it got close enough to ground to discharge, or even arc over. It didn't seem to me that was a behavior you wanted in audio wiring. The phenomenon does not occur at low field strengths; but some power supply configurations might be high enough. FEP is a lot less susceptible. PTFE has a higher dielectric constant than PE, so you probably would not want it in coaxial cables. There, Foamed PE is probably the best choice for lowest dielectric constant (except for air).

Thanks,

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Point-to-point wiring? - Bold Eagle 14:43:02 09/23/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.