Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

It was a transition time in Marantz history - and not a good one at that

That was a very weird time in Marantz history. Standard Trading Corporation and Marantz Far East merged to form Marantz Sales. So Phillips isn't in the picture yet.

At that time they were repackaging their older stuff and selling it under new lines like Esotec, PM series, SM series

What was real weird was they were selling some VERY good stuff and some of their CHEAPEST stuff every made at the same time. No one can figure out if this was their down fall. One thing was certain that the 80's was a dark time in audio. Real mass production was in full swing and quality was out and looks was in

Not to be a party pooper but that piece was one of their cheapest efforts. They kept the Logo and the beautiful knobs and the rest was mass built in some factory with little regard to audio quality.

I've had two of the receivers from that era and there is almost NO history of those pieces. It's like they just wanted it all to go away and forget it ever happened. It's like if McIntosh briefly went into clock radios.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It was a transition time in Marantz history - and not a good one at that - airtime 08:04:58 09/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.