Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

basically for looks...

Those wood side panels, and basically any wood cabinet do 'class up' the appearance of your equipment, no doubt. I have found it is nearly impossible to 're-veneer' particle board; once that stuff starts to flake apart it tends to just get worse. I have had some success gluing down the odd corner of the plastic veneer however. There is no reason why you can't make new wood side panels, just cut it to fit, drill holes and finish to taste. There are plenty of people out there making new wood cabinets to fit your components as well, some using exotic woods or veneers. As far as sonic benefits...maybe. It stands to reason that anything that changes the mass of a component could alter how it responds to vibration. Lots of people spend lots of money on feet, platforms etc. to isolate and/or manage vibration. Of course, a component with nice wood trim or a beautiful wooden cabinet will naturally sound better than one that doesn't. I think its a law or something... Ugly is Bad, Pretty is Good.

good luck,
--Matt
"When you think everything is someone else's fault, you will suffer a lot."
--Dalai Lama

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • basically for looks... - realistico 07:58:51 08/29/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.