Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Orange is the New Black - Low-Fi is the New High End

Don't you read Stereophile?

Don't you read Art Dudley? [The Holy Audio Prophet - blessed is his name and his interconnects]

Don't you read user evaluations of bluetooth speakers on Amazon?

Don't you talk to frat kids?

Don't you read the posts on this very board?????????

The high end is dead. Even mid-fi - such as your BA speakers - are dead. We're in a new age - and it's the age of low fidelity. Bad sound is good sound.

1. The Holy Prophet of Audio [blessed is his very perspiration] long ago rejected any considerations such as imaging, detail, delicacy, air, tonal and harmonic accuracy - and especially - any reference to the absolute sound - real instruments playing in real spaces. The Holy One says that all that matters is Humaneth. What't that? Anything that has extemely poor, roller coaster-like frequency response, limited frequency extension, lot's and lot's of gruesome distorsion, lot's of resonating wood panels, etc. Big, old, painfully nasty horn speakers are at the top of the list for humaneth.

2. Even the formerly reliable Mike Fremer has tossed in the towel of true high end ideals to which he'd previously adhered and lined up behind The Holy Prophet of Audio [blessed are his tweeks]. This month in the Stereophile, Fremer went crazy over some low fidelity cartridge designs from the 1950's that Ortofon's brought back into production. The fact that a manufacturer has taken the risk and expense of producing some obsolete, low fidelity, high-tracking force device means that they're recognized a shift in audio consumer values towards low fidelity, and seek to make a profit from that market change.

3. Ever look at amazon.com? Tons of user comments. One bluetooth speaker has 430 user reviews [and counting] - and NOT A SINGLE ONE even hints at the sound quality of the bluetooth speaker. The only thing that counts is loudness. College-dorm residents will tell you the same thing. Loud. Louder. That's all that counts. [I saw that you indicated that you didn't require loudness - but I just want to make sure you know what's important today in audio].

4. Do you read this board? The guys here've been way ahead of the curve for years. They signed up to the low fidelity/loudness-dynamics-uber-alles train years ago. What sounds great? Why - consoles. Big, heavy, resonating consoles. Alternatively, any old speaker boxes. The more poorly designed, the lower quality the drivers, the more resonant the particle board enclosures, the better. The AR3a, with its horribly colored sound that I know so well [it virtually defines the term "box speaker sound"] are venerated almost as pieces of the True Cross [and the grill must be parts of The Shroud].

AND NOW, THE NEW ULTIMATE

5. But, the market's moved even beyond the low-fi inclinations of the guys here. The new greatest sound ever is to be found in the following:

* Electric guitar speakers

* Old ceiling PA speakers used in factories, supermarkets, etc. The ones with 70 volt transformers on them. Brands such as Quam.

* 1960's era Detroit automotive speakers. Guys encourage each other to raid auto salvage yards, and trade tips about that.

You think I'm kidding? Do an google search and you'll find a buzzing hive of activity about all of this.

This board functioned on the unspoken but assumed idea that if it's old - it's great*, but they've been eclipsed by even more extreme low fidelity adherents who view PA speakers [and probably amplifiers] as the very keys to heaven on earth.

*Old = great. By implication, anything new is corrupt, suspect, a swindle, garbage-sounding, and part of the conspiracy designed to take away your Altecs, your rights, your guns, your trucks, your M-80's, and your dogs.

Rock on
Severius! Supremus Invictus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.