Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Scott 299(A) and a modern small speaker??

I've got a Scott 299(A) which I partly restored and partly had professionally restored. It works great with a pair of Boston A-70's. I've had it for over over 15 years now and it was partly due to the help of people on this site which got me through the restoration work.

Now the question. We're moving and my wife has always hated the Bostons. Says they are "huge" and take up too much space. She wants to use small modern speakers that we can tuck away somewhere.

I know some are available which are not much more than 6 or 7 inches tall. Went out to Best Buy and looked around online. It seems like most of these are 6 ohms and not sensitive enough for the old Scott, which is only 17 watts per channel. Their range is poor too - only going down to 55 Hz or so.

Does anyone know of options here? Are there some 8 ohm & small size speakers which are reasonably efficient? I don't need ton of sound, I don't listen at high volumes. Just need something that's reasonably efficient.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Scott 299(A) and a modern small speaker?? - Jon C. 14:52:19 08/17/16 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.