Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: I was reading up on the Marantz 15 dual monoblocks

None would hold a candle to modern SS amps, but were very good, maybe the best SS amps at the time.

There is one amp of that vintage, however, that arguably would still be considered competitive today - the Threshold 800A circa '75. I was working part time at a shop in Atlanta that sold Dayton-Wright electrostats. At the time, the D-W rep (Dan D'Agostino!) had recommended a Dunlap-Clarke amp to handle their rather unforgiving load. It was reliable and didn't wince at the reactive load, but wasn't spectacular sounding. Then Julian got an 800A with its triple Darlington outputs!

It was far better sounding and a groundbreaking amp in many respects. It introduced the later much copied concept of sliding class A bias that reduced its power consumption and heat output. It was also the first child of a stellar engineer who continues to innovate today with his products at Pass Labs and First Watt. At the close of the 70s, he introduced the Stasis series used by Telarc records for their cutter. I enjoyed a Stasis 3 for nearly thirty years driving Acoustats.

Nelson Pass' Threshold 800A

I think Mike Samra has one in his collection.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I was reading up on the Marantz 15 dual monoblocks - E-Stat 08:11:05 08/16/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.