Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage gear parts availability (a little off topic)

I got a little paranoid about the cost of competent service, as well as parts availability, a couple of years ago. Most of my imported gear is gone, including Quad ESL63 speakers, Dynaco tube amps, and Paragon tube preamp, along with various Sherwood tube stuff and a Pilot 245A integrated. Replacements are all made in Canada, and include Martin Logan electrostats, Bryston amp, and Meitner preamp. Although not new, all of these can be serviced by the manufacturers, if and when required, without having to be shipped to another country. My Bryston 3BST is recently returned from a factory repair, still under warranty as it is only 18 years old and has two years left on the warranty.

The sale of my outgoing equipment more than paid for purchase of my present (used) components, and I look forward to more years of mostly trouble-free listening pleasure. I've also considered that at some point, I may have to downsize to smaller living space that may not have room for all of my 6,000+ LPs. I'm in the process of recording LPs to DSD files so that the music collection can come with me no matter what may happen in the future. New equipment purchases include headphones (both over-ear and in-ear), and a DAC with both RCA outputs and a headphone jack.

Have you considered how a forced lifestyle change might affect your ability to deal with equipment failure? Can you count on always remaining in your present residence, or might a change require a very different sound system?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Vintage gear parts availability (a little off topic) - goofytwoshoes 11:45:58 08/14/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.