Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: With modern sources putting out 2.5v why do I need a preamp

Good question, not a simple answer. For example it may be that as you turn up the source volume you increase the distortion non-linearly - just depends on the design.

The next is that you like the sound of the preamp. There are neutral designs, but for the most part preamps do color the sound and with tube preamps it is difficult to design them to be neutral due to the characteristics of a tube. This is just a guess but I think if I was to measure gain vs input level of the tube preamps I like, the gain would be non-linear, expanded, increased head room is another way to express it.

The next are other forms of pleasing distortion. Even and odd harmonics, there is a lot written about. I had a friend in HiFi his entire career, store sales, rep, and then sales and marketing management, all high end equipment. He came across a relatively inexpensive CD player that he liked the sound of. So I bought one, and did a lot to it, external low noise PS, high resolution DAC, high-end output section. We got together and listened to them both. The one I did the work to, much cleaner sound but he liked the unmodified one better. He found the noise/distortion pleasing, musical.

Similarly I used an OTL amplifier for about a year. It had a great, clean, expanded sound. But I went back to tube transformer amplifiers because I found I liked the sound/coloring of the transformers.

I think you would just have to try the source directly connected to an amplifier and compare it to through your preamp. It sounds like you like the sound of your preamp so that may be what you find.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: With modern sources putting out 2.5v why do I need a preamp - fredtr 15:54:00 08/13/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.