Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Sooooooooooo what happened?

The gentleman that has the MC 60s has agreed to let me have them for a couple of days, though I don't know how useful this will prove. According to him they haven't been used very much the past 10 years and I'm a little leary of wrecking something by just plugging them in.

I'm out of town right now, but I'll probably just take a leap of faith when I get home and buy them. Its not a money thing. I have been working without a contract for a couple of years and the union and management are going to settle soon. That means a bunch of back pay coming.

I know that Mike could make 'em sing with his all film cap supply as well as dumping the 12au7 for the 6cg7 phase inverter and whatever other witchcraft he performs.

The owner has a similar predicament; He has a all B.A.T. system as his everyday driver, but he's having a hard time parting with the Macs. Let me tell you, that B.A.T. gear with those Martin Logan Summits - Jeez that sounded magnificent!

Mikey has told me that he is getting 55 wpc from the MC 30s. That would be enough power, and in all honesty I like the sound of 6L6s better than the 6550/KT88. I know there are those here that don't but I sure do. Maybe the MC 30 would be a better fit.
Obviously I haven't heard every 6550/KT88 variety, but in general I think the 6L6 sounds fuller - But that's me.....

Another option is to just keep the Sherwood and get the Martin Logans with the integrated powered woofer. They are more money (2k more) but then I wouldn't have to get a bigger amp(s).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.