Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Some amplifier advice needed

OK, now that I have reappeared, allow me to pick your brains a little. The back story is that I have this basic insecurity and want a second set of electronics (I have plenty of speakers). I thought I had it worked out, using my NAD C350 integrated amp as the backup amp/preamp. However, it turns out the imaging is weak. Everything collapses into the center. I did a little research swapping amps and preamps with my Rotel gear, and found the C350's problem is in the power amp. The preamp is actually pretty good, and after adding a bunch of bypass caps across the polar electrolytic coupling caps it is close to the Rotel. So, the C350 won't do for a backup power amp.

I also ordered an Adcom GTP-400 tuner preamp to swap out with the Rotel RTC-940 tuner-preamp. So, I'm halfway there. Now, I need to find a good basic power amp. I figure a solid 60 W/ch is enough; but it needs to be able to handle at least 4 ohm loads. I would prefer a dual mono amp (like my Rotel RB1050)for the better imaging. A few that would work well would be another RB1050, Adcom GFA535 II or GFA 5300. Some of those were around last week; but not today. I'd like to stay under $300.

I did come across a couple of amps that look interesting; so I'd like advice on those. One was a Parasound M750a at 75 W/ch, dual mono and a solid low impedance rating. The other is a Kenwood MK X-1000. 125 w/ch into 4 ohms, dual mono, THX rated. I also found a Hafler DH-220. Not dual mono; but plenty of room in the chassis for two more caps and another bridge rectifier. It probably could use new filter caps anyway.

I have several options - one being to just wait until one of my preferred amps shows up and hope nothing happens.

Anyway, thanks in advance, and yes, I am open to suggestions.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Some amplifier advice needed - Bold Eagle 21:00:02 07/16/16 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.