Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Alive and Well

I got e mails from Bill H and Airtime asking if I was OK. I am very pleased to report that I am alive and well.

I haven't been on the Asylum for a while; but continue to play with my audio toys.

The last big thing I did was to give my grandson, Tom, a set of Bose AM-5 series II speakers and an NAD C320BEE integrated amp, and an older Sony CD/DVD player. The combination sounded really pretty good. The speakers and amp came out of our living room TV sound system. They were free'd up after a friend moved and gave me a small DCM powered sub. I added that to the TV's analog output, and re-adjusted the Samsung TV"s, internal graphic EQ On DVD's, the sound is surprisingly good - all it really needed was some bottom end.

I finished my "A25 Remembrance" project. Three pair of speakers created in the concept of the A25. Simple 2 way systems with only a single capacitor and L pad on the tweeter to blend it in smoothly, and the 10" woofer rolled off on its own. The key is a woofer that rolls off smoothly on its own with no series inductor. These are hard to find these days, except for SEAS with one current model. The first is my pair of 1971 vintage KLH 17's. My first pair of matched speakers for stereo. Sold to a friend in 1973 and given back to me in the early 2000's. The 17's woofer (really more of a 9.5") has no crossover, and rolls off nicely on its own. I resealed the surrounds, added a Morel MDT20 tweeter in place of the originals, crossed it over with a 10 uF series cap and an L-pad and made sure the cabinets were well sealed. I also added a series R to the woofer to control the bass Q for use with an SS amp. #2 pair was based on some older, solid, ported JBL cabinets and uses the SEAS 25F-EW woofer (the A25 replacement) and SEAS 27TBFC/G metal dome tweeter and again the single 10 uF series film cap and L-pad. The cabinets are about 70% filled with AcoustiStuf to get the bass Q right. #3 pair are my mirror image Advent replica cabinets with the SEAS A26RE4 woofer, again with a small series R, and a SEAS 27TBFC/G crossed over with a 10 uF film cap and an L-pad. This is the pair I'm using in my system on 15" stands.

Notice, no more foam surrounds!

Electronics are a stack of Rotel components; the RB1050 dual mono power amp, RCD-971 CD player, and RTC-940 tuner-preamp. A really wide soundstage with the Advent cabinets, and beautifully smooth and natural mids and highs.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Alive and Well - Bold Eagle 09:02:26 07/15/16 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.