Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I Agree Mikey

I changed out the ugly gold plastic knows to some nice black metal ones.

Very clean layout.

Note the eight Auricaps above. I think that their character works best in the 433 as they are very detailed which works well in a warm sounding amp like the ASR-433.

The Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 pictured is complete with Auricaps and it sound very very good. I think a lot of the magic comes from solid engineering as S-C's parent company was General Dynamics - The defense contractor.

They can be had for $200 to $350 and after a few coupling caps, some diodes, and tubes you'll have a outstanding little gem of a amp, albeit only 12 wpc. They respond very well to tube rolling so you can tailor the sound as needed.

I have used ASR-433 with several speakers including Klipsch Heresy, Paradigm Reference, Triangle Titus, and KLH 17's. The KLH 17 pairing was sublime thanks to Jerry's (Bold Eagle) KLH restoration instructions.

To sum up, the S-C sounds very good, but it's not quite in the same class as the all time greatest vintage tube integrated - The Sherwood S-5000 with ultra linear transformers and 7189 output tubes. The S-5000 has crazy good tight bass, I suspect it's the UL transformers.

Back to the S-C; I second your recommendation and would add to that a pair of KLH 17's for $125.

Edits: 07/02/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.