Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Definitely ! The absolute cheapest are old console amps...

EL 84s are the way to go ! EL84/6BQ5/7189 Pentodes with a bit of feedback is the ticket...

Console amps were many brands; usually hard-wired without circuit boards, so they are much easier to repair/upgrade than pcb equipped later amps. I notice the OP speakers and he has great choices !

I used to use the DLS529 by EMI; the so-called "Dangerous Loudspeaker" since it easily revealed any shortcomings in the audio chain before it. They are 4 ohms and somewhat efficient ! Thus, they can actually shine with some of the Single-Ended Class A console amps of the 1960s ! Especially, if extreme loudness is not a need, SE Class A EL-84s are tough to beat ! RCA and Magnavox made some serious contenders; as did Westinghouse. Do not be curtailed by the small size of the opt trannies on some of these...

The JR149 are not efficient at all. They like some power and damping for the bass; push-pull EL84 amps are recommended. The OP is smart to look for generic brands to save money. While older Fisher, Scott and Dynaco amps have literally skyrocketed in price, the Heathkit UA-1, UA-2 and integrateds using the same opt iron are well worth restoring. The AA-151 and SA-2 can be bought within budget; but their circuit needs tweaking. The UA1 and 2 are probably a bit over $400. for the pair; but well worth procuring. Lafayette made some very worthy contenders; but also made some losers at the same time; research is needed here...

While many of our peers recommend push-pull 6V6 amps, they are really not enough power for the JR149s. On the other hand, for the EMIs, the 6V6 amps should be fine and inexpensive. 6V6 amps are usually not described as "warm and cuddly" like the higher power 6BQ5/EL84 amps. Instead, they garner the term "neutral" which is usually appropriate for 6V6 amps.

So, start researching and bookmarking some models; especially as there are budget restraints. Do not rush into this market; please. There are way too many choices, every week available. Check model numbers with the forum members and then make your want list...or save some bucks for a great pair of mono amps...Enjoy the search and enjoy the journey...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.