Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Frank may have made more money on that house than selling stereos

He bought the entire mountain to build that house. Just selling off that real estate could make you rich!!!!!

However I have a story that is almost exactly as you described. Long story short:

Old guy on my block that I did ham radios with died. He also happened to be an audiophile. When people couldn't get rid of their tubes fast enough for the newer transistor stereos, he horded them as fast as they got rid of their "old" tubed stereos.

He died and his wife asked if I wanted any of this "JUNK". Me being 12 or so and also not wanting anything to do with tubes said NO.

A few days later there was a pile of tubed stereos, tubes and what not 6' wide and taller than I was. And I do mean taller than I was!!!!

I am POSITIVE that there was a gold mine in that pile because I do remember seeing at least one tubed Marantz preamp and amp. The reason I clearly remember that one was because I was lusting for a Marantz 2230 but couldn't afford one.

Rather ironic that I couldn't afford the 2230 yet there was a Marantz 8b and 7c (? tube version) sitting in the trash two houses down from me.

To this day it's like a cold sweat nightmare when I remember it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Frank may have made more money on that house than selling stereos - airtime 08:04:36 06/28/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.