Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: My first exposure to "high end" audio

Well once he played some music even my uneducated ears told me this was something very different than anything I'd experienced before. My little Steelman portable AM/record player was suddenly woefully inadequate.

I can imagine..My story was a little more simple..In 1976 I was just out of high school in the summer before I had gone off to college,I had an ad in the paper for fixing TVs. This guy had called me to fix a Magnavox color TV that couldn't get the flesh tones.This particular gentleman used to fix TVs on the side like many did in those days but he was having a horrible time with this set.
When I got there,he had these huge Klipshhorn speakers playing that were custom built with EV drivers and it was powered by a Knight KB-85 tube amp,driven by a modded Dynaco Pat 5 preamp and a nice Thorens turntable and when I hearD this system,I had absolutely NO INTEREST in working on that TV.This man was my audio and electronics mentor and he was maintenance director at the big hospitals in our town. He told me this KB85 amp was 30 watts per channel and then I thought,let me go get my receiver which was 45 wpc.Once we hooked my Realistic STA-200 up,I realized then and there what a POS it was.LOL.
From then on we became close friends as he was like a dad to me and I inherited most of his audio gear and sold the modern stuff for his wife.
We had several different systems thru the years but I still have the original KB85 that started it all for me..
We did end up fixing the Magnavox color tv..It turned out to be leaky pin diodes in the Chroma demox.

I want to ask you..You mentioned seeing Mac gear with blue lights and meters in 1960..Were you referring to a tuner or did they maybe have a separate add on power meter display? I wasn't aware Mac had any metered amps in the tube days.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 06/27/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.