Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Glue question!

Can anyone recommend an appropriate glue for older plastic? My doorbell is at least 60 and maybe even 80ish years old if it was original to the house.

This leads me to believe the plastic might be similar to that found in old radios, etc.

Well, what happened is that I kind of dropped it and it cracked in two. A possible 60 maybe even 80 years of minty goodness ruined by my fat sausage fingers in the blink of an eye.

But the good news is the crack, although jagged, is clean across the pale yellow plastic and I see that if I have the right glue, the crack will be almost invisible once the two pieces are re-joined. I just want to make sure I don't cause any deformation or melting by using the wrong glue.

It seems much more brittle than polystyrene but not as substantial as Bakelite. It's a creamy light yellow color that has darkened along the front which was exposed to the light in the dining room (no windows in there).

Similar to the one in the picture, but mine has three tubes or bells (chimes?) and a "G" cleff on the front.

EDIT... It's a Rittenhouse model 316! mid 50's apparently not 'styrene. So what kind of plastic is it?

Edits: 06/23/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Glue question! - MannyE 12:54:58 06/23/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.