Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

NO NO NO NO

I have a rebuilt pr of W5 and a restored 2100. The 2100 is the chassis version of the 2105; no meters or cabinet. I looks like a SS version of a Mac tube amp.

The W5 pr are among the most natural sounding amplifiers I have heard. They do not call attention to themselves. A piano sounds like a piano, no more no less, and sometimes that can sound underwhelming compared to a more colored amp. But after extended listening, you want to keep listening because the sound is so relaxed and natural.

My 2100 is dead quiet, runs cool to the touch, has tolerated shorted outputs, has been left on for weeks at a time before I realized it, and just keeps trucking along. But it sounds just "blah". Lifeless, two dimensional, no depth. The bass however is outstanding, and I currently use it to drive a pr of Heath AS103 speakers operated as subs (AS103 is the Heathkit version of the AR3a). As a subwoofer amp it is great for me.

I would not compare the two amps because in any area other than power output the Mac is so inferior that you wonder why people love Mac equipment.

I appreciate your dilemma. You need power and more than 30wpc of tube power can cost a lot of money. In the vintage world your options are limited. A pair of Dynaco MK-III can be found in your price range, but after a pr of W5, you may not like the Dynaco amps. Have you considered classic but modern tube amps ? Older Audio Research and Conrad Johnson amps can give you the power you would like, but at a reasonable cost.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • NO NO NO NO - Ross 18:27:17 06/20/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.