Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Have to disagree.

"Simple logic" or no, power cords DO matter, at least for me. I didn't want to believe this for a long, long time. But now I put power cords right up there with interconnects and ahead of speaker cables, in their contribution to sonics and synergy. Power cords and CONNECTORS, that is, noting that if I can change the sound for the better (or worse) by switching connectors alone, there's something happening that simple logic doesn't account for. I've heard it too many times to start doubting now. And I have yet to try a power cord that cost more than $250 (I mostly make my own or reterminate existing ones). Been doing this for years.

Case in point. I think the Pangea PCs from Audio Advisor are great for the money. But I reterminated one pair of the original AC-14 (14 gauge) with Furutech ends and the difference -- and improvement -- was clear. Later I bought a pair of the supposedly improved AC-14SE version and damned if they didn't sound as good as my reterminated ones.

Second case in point: Half a dozen audiobuddies and I were listening to one guy's new CD player and finding it wanting. All of these guys (except me) are hard-core DIY people and one suggested changing the PC to a cord he had brought along. The difference was downright amazing and, yes, we switched back to the original cord at least 3 times because we were frankly incredulous. The "winner" was a Cardas but I don't remember the model. This single experience, approx. 6 years ago, pretty much made me not just a believer but a confirmed one.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.