Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Scott 299B coupling cap voltage

The place you want to use the paper in oil are the .1s going into the 7189s.V1 and V6 are the Phono stage and I would use them there as well..V2 and V7 I would use film and tin foil on the input and well as the output triode.You Can use a pio on the output there as well but try the film and foil there for now..The .022 that feeds the triode grid of the 6U8 you can run a .022 K40 or a .033 k40 there. Now,all these caps I mentioned is what is going to make the biggest difference as far as coupling caps go.The rest of the radionics are not that bad because there little to no DC voltage on many of them and they are a film and aluminum foil cap and they do a nice job..You change those later to 716p or even the nichicons there.
Personally I've been using a lot of the Solen film and tin foil caps as well.These are the white ones which are very good and they are well made.I use those in preamps and the input caps on most power amps.
The other thing that will help this amp and that is rebuilding the power supply with new filter caps as well as the bias supply and dc filament supply for phono stage.You want to put a 35uf poly right off the GZ34 and this will really make this amp sing.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Scott 299B coupling cap voltage - Michael Samra 19:55:16 04/11/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.