Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Looks like I'm done

The most blessed event is when you wake up one day, realize you enjoy your system, and rebel at the thought of trying one more cable.

Recently I watched an amazing video, one where you say..Well DUHH! but I never fully realized that.

the video emphasized that sound is compressed air, pressure. I've been playing with wave lengths of RF for decades and without really thinking about it understood sound wave lengths the same way. This video pointed out that sound is pressure wavelengths; and if the wave length is longer than our body it surrounds us just like an ocean wave will. If longer than the opening in a speaker box it like wise surrounds the speaker box causing interference, nodes and anti-nodes, for every frequency. add a second speaker, what a mess! add in diffraction from the speaker box and edges on a speaker box--it's really freighting!Mix the speed of sound through air 1,126 ft/s divide that by cps of 70 cps, 17 feet, 18,000 cps .06 ft, or 3/4 inch

Impossible for a speaker to handle that!! :-))

Best from t'son
bob

Never assume anything I post is accurate.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Looks like I'm done - Tin Ear Bob 13:24:50 04/11/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.