Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Lucked into a pair of Fried Model R speakers.

My son had them, they've been sitting unused in his apartment for the last ten years or so. One tweeter was dead, the MDF grill frames were broken, and they smell like cigarette smoke. He wanted them gone, and I love a good reclamation project.
I replaced the bad tweeter, repaired the grill frames, and spent a good hour or so listening to them last night.
They're impressive, at least as good as my MMGs maybe even better. I think they play deeper bass for one thing.
Tough to find any info on them. There's a Fried/IMF page but none of the links still work.
I pulled the woofers to look at the crossovers. From what I been told, the difference between Model R and Model R Series II is the crossover. Model R has "KEF" printed on the board, Series II does not. No sign of any printing on the boards in my speakers other than the circuits.
Also, apparently the Series II crossover was available as an upgrade kit. This might be the case here because one of the speakers is missing its fuse holder. The holder isn't broken, it's just gone, and I can tell by the look of the wiring that it was simply left out and never installed, something that might have happened if a shop upgraded them to the Series II crossovers.
At any rate, they're keepers. I won't get to use them again till tomorrow and I can hardly wait.
Any info you all might have on these great speakers will be appreciated. I got a lot of help over on the Speaker Asylum last week but given the age of the gear, think Vintage might be more appropriate.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Lucked into a pair of Fried Model R speakers. - olddude55 04:59:58 04/08/16 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.