Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

A new experiment

A great opportunity happened yesterday when the AMC channel ran the 1974 "Earthquake" Movie. I first saw this in 1974, in the days when you could buy a ticket and wander into a movie at the tail end and watch the last section before the next run started. Anyhow, it was a bright sunny day in 1974, and I showed up in the theater about 15 minutes before the last reel ended. The theater was pitch black in part because I had just come in from bright sunlight. I couldn't see a thing other than the screen. This was before the days of lights in the theater marking the aisles. I was not aware that the movie was being shown in sensurround in that theater, designed to make the entire theater shake with low frequencies when the earthquake rumbled.

I stopped in the rear of the theater, standing to give my eyes a chance to adjust to the darkness so I could find a seat. Suddenly, the last aftershock hit. I looked to my side and I was standing almost next to one of the sensurround speakers that was causing the entire theater to shake and rumble.

Anyhow, the last and biggest aftershock is still there near the end of the movie. My 12-inch Advent sub is connected on one side only. But my den shook across the entire sound stage from left to right, with no directionality whatsoever even though the sub is at the far left side of the room.

My stereo sound from the JVC VR5541 is fine, my sub is fine, and the movie looks great in upscaled 4K UHD! Not quite the 1974 theatrical experience, but close given a home den system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A new experiment - DavidLD 09:56:40 04/03/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.