Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Recapping Sherwood S-5500

The doubler caps I would go with 470uf nichicons or the 820uf panasonics or nichicons.Yes,I use both types there and even tho it seems high on the second value,using the 820uf at 250v or higher works well but so does the 470uf.
Every other electrolytic I use 2.5 times the original value.For 40uf,I use 100uf.For the 20uf,I use 50uf but you can also use a 100uf with no issues because you have to be strategic with the caps being dual 100s or dual 50s.For the negative bias and DC filament,I use the muse KZ there but they aren't that critical.You can double the values but it's not that necessary..I always go higher but just use good quality caps there..I put a 100uf at 100v muse KZ on the bias line and the other two caps you can use 220uf and a 350uf at 50v.You can also use a 50v cap on the 100/100 on the bias line.
As far as using .22 in place of the .1s or .068s,I wouldn't. Do not change most of the original coupling caps out because those are film and foil mylar and they are extremely good. You do change them out in the drivers and outputs of course and the phase splitter. On the preamp output,you can change those out as well to a good film and foil like a Multicap or a solen film and tin foil,or a polystyrene. Also,use the Schotkey/cree diodes in the doubler and insulate them.On the negative bias and filmant diodes,1N4007s are fine.
Don't make the mistake of putting in all K40s as some have. Use them in the amplifier section and if you want,in the phono as well.I always use paper in oil and teflon off the plate of a tube where higher B+ is present to help with break-in.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Recapping Sherwood S-5500 - Michael Samra 10:51:57 04/02/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.