Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Hartleys gone, Fultons in.

Oh, I have waxed poetic over my FMI-80s here over the years.
They aren't going anywhere, and will be coming with us to our new home.

I guess the point I wanted to stress was, that elusive quality of "spooky realism" so eloquently and succinctly pointed out by Chef Henry that the Hartleys portrayed.

Everything is relative of course, but because of the work I do, I get to hear a lot of consumer sound systems in the sub-$100K range. Within that range, over the years I have never heard, nor owned speakers that did the "spooky realism" thing as convincingly as the Hartleys. This includes the current crop of products too. I haven't heard the DSP controlled Kii-3 or B&O speakers though, which are harbingers of the near future I think.

On a side note, I am currently doing an experiment with the Fultons. I have cut out the wood and cement board to make new enclosures for the Fulton drivers. They retain the exact inner volume and aspect ratio as the original FMI-80s, but are using Baltic Birch and Triple Wall Baffle ala Albert Von Schweikert.
I wanted to hear what the original drivers would sound like in a "modern" enclosure. I also want to do some hammer veneering, and this is a small enough project for me to tackle.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.