Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

the crossover is at ca. 1100 to 1500 Hz (depending on the specific version)

Not sure we're on the same wavelength (pun partially intended).

The Duplex is a true two-way speaker, although most versions lack considerable HF extension due to the horn and the XO design. That's just one of those things. The diaphragm on the treble driver in a Duplex is fairly big; again, I think it's similar to (although not identical to) the famed, venerable (and EXPENSIVE) Altec 288 compression driver.

A dome MR per se would be far less sensitive than the woofer or HF driver used in the Duplex. The Duplex's HF driver and horn might be best thought of as a MR horn, but as you can tell from the XO frequencies (in the subject line, and from memory, so I may not be dead on the range used by all Duplex versions ever made/sold) much of the MR was handled by that big, 515-like 15" driver and its paper cone and pleated (accordion) surround.

I like to say that the Altec 604 series Duplexes are the best midrange drivers ever made :-)

Now, back to that crossover: Time alignment of the original Altec XO was, arguably, the big "opportunity for improvement" of the Duplexes of yore. Doug Sax "MasteringLabs" sold one that was widely used (and, IMO, quite effective) in studios.

Jeff Markwart has also designed improved XOs for some of the Duplex drivers. See link below.
all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.