Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Grommes Precision 101A speaker terminal loads

Hello inmates,

I am working on a Grommes 101A mono block tube amp for a friend. From what I have researched, it was an amp designed to run multiple speakers, like in a home that has many speakers wired in several rooms (I think up to 6 speakers).

The terminal strip has 12 taps, a positive and negative for each of the 6 speakers you can have, but they are labeled as very odd ball OHM ratings. The labels for the various hooks ups and bridges you can perform, are obscured and they are not very clear, but apparently you can bridge the terminals together for more power into one load. This is the intention of what the end user wants to do with this amp, simply run one speaker off the amp..

Some of the research indicates you can't quite get a 4 ohm load, 8 ohm, load or 16 ohm load for a traditional speaker load, but you can get close..

My question is does any one know the proper bridge sequences that would best match a 4,8, 16 ohm load for this amp, and if so, where do you place the ground? Is it necessary to bridge the ground terminals as well?

Right now the amp will oscillate when a load is applied and I think this may be because it isn't seeing a load that it is comfortable with..

Attached are images from someone online who has rebuilt one and a schematic, you can see there is some kind of jumper configuration he is using but I am unsure what the load is intended for, and why there are two jumper series..

any incites on this strange amp are welcome..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Grommes Precision 101A speaker terminal loads - mr9iron 12:04:07 03/07/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.