Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

More Info

I did a little more digging. I don't own one of these. Just trying to help. For what it's worth...

Apparently the 6BQ5 is not provided for in this tester. On antiqueradios.com, member ds bk wrote the following and I quote:
"Build an adapter that will get you from 9-pin mini 6BQ5 to octal 6L6.
9-pin mini to octal as follows: 2 to 4, 3 to 7, 4 to 9, 5 to 2, 7 to 5, 8 to 3.
Do your test in socket 8B. The sensitivity will be at 85, but test a few known-good 6BQ5 to verify this by 'feel'.
ds"

On tone-lizard.com, I found this info on the 500 and quote it here:
"In order to save time in testing dual triodes tubes (like the 6SN7 or the 12AX7), the tube tester puts the triodes in parallel! There is now just one test position for the entire tube, and I am supposed to be thankful for this time saving design. The owner's manual mentions that the reading will reflect the fact that the two triodes are in parallel, and a weak section will lower the overall reading. I still like B&K 500 because of the tests is does perform (grid emission, leakage, life expectancy), but wish I could have the option of trying to 'match' triodes for a critical application (e.g. phase inverter)."

On your 12AX7 problem, I suggest that it sounds like a bad contact somewhere. Either the socket pins, switch contacts, etc. Have you done a thorough cleaning with de-oxit or other contact cleaner? I have had to repeat that process on equipment on more than one occasion. Tube testers tend to have a lot of contacts.

Good luck with it.
John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • More Info - DIY John 05:08:30 03/02/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.