Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Those were my first experience with ultra high end audio

When I was a kid one of my first serious jobs was an electricians assistant.

We were servicing a home that belonged to the CEO of a pharmaceutical company who just happen to be an audio NUT!!!! He had a room that looked like the inside of the public library with expensive built in wood cases and cabinets. Very upscale, plush and also tremendous.

On a center table were something like 20 or so pieces of audio. I couldn't even name or guess what they were or even what they were for.

He had SEVERAL of these large panel KLH Nine speakers through out the room. Several thousand records and tapes in the cabinets and four down firing subwoofers. But the subwoofers were, and I'm not exagerating, 4 feet by 4 feet and 3 feet high.

Several pieces were one and there was some sort of thing, for a lack of what the heck this thing was, that was a cube shape around two or three feet and covered with fins. It had a cable as thick as my arm going to it.

I couldn't even think of how this thing was even turned on. I assumed by a NASA control center of sorts.

Ah the memories of being in rich peoples houses.

charles

Edits: 03/01/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Those were my first experience with ultra high end audio - airtime 07:08:07 03/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.