Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

With that budget you probably have lots of choices ...

... but also some caveats. Vintage tube preamps can be a pain to work on, OR kinda pricey if you go the ready-to-play route. Also, many of the good ones are enclosed with vents in the cases, so you'd have to remove the cases to *see* the tubes (which is probably better for ventilation, anyway).

From my experience, the Heath(kit) SP-2A stereo preamps are very nice and are definitely all there in the MidCentury looks dept., but can be tough to find ready for action (I have one that I completely rebuilt with good modern parts etc). The EICO preamps are very well-respected, but pretty plain in the looks dept. Matching the output characteristics of any of the older preamps to the new speakers may present a challenge, though.

If you didn't already have those killer speakers, I'd suggest (again, from my personal experience having owned, used, and worked on all the following stuff)
--a nice little Sherwood S5000 (without the "II"), Heathkit AA151, or maybe even Fisher 400/500,
--and a pair of white-basket Electro-Voice 12TRX or TRX-Bs (also look for the Knight equivalents which are often cheaper) that you could likely fit into the console.

That would give you premium sound (including playing LPs) and the looks that you want and you'd have a good bit left over for records etc, and a Bluetooth receiver to control volume from your iPad without leaving the, um, sweet spot.

Please DO post pics when you're done - I for one have considered doing something similar and would love to see how someone did it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • With that budget you probably have lots of choices ... - ToddM 10:44:28 02/25/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.