Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Need help connecting turntable to amplified speakers via "tubes"

In my opinion, you're needlessly complicating things with the powered speakers. Get an integrated amplifier with a phono stage and a pair of commonplace passive speakers. Use the phono input for your turntable and one of the auxiliary inputs for anything else. It would probably be helpful if you found an integrated with a remote so you can easily switch between source components and volume but it's certainly not necessary.

If any of this is confusing, just Google "integrated amp" and/or "passive speakers."

Marantz makes a number of affordable integrateds, such as the PM6005, which also includes a built-in digital-to-analog converter to make streaming files from your laptop (or phone) easy. And decent passive speakers of all sizes are readily available, such as the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. That combination is under $1,000 and sounds very nice.

I realize that you want the visual aspect of tubes on display, but I don't see you getting that, plus a phono stage in this particular configuration at your price point.

Edits: 02/25/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Need help connecting turntable to amplified speakers via "tubes" - Jeffrey Lee 19:45:28 02/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.