Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Current McIntosh MC275 MK Vl nt

I thought McIntosh had better circuit designs and a more robust power supply.

I own several citation 2s and an Mc275 and a pair of Mc240s and several mc60s. If you go back in time,your statement would be correct because Mac was generous with filtering as much as they could be for physical size restraints.
Fast forward to about 2002 on and there is a gentleman named Jim McShane that reinvented a much more robust power supply for Mc240,Mc75s,and Mc225 and the Cit 2 and Cit 5 amps.Now these amps have much more reserve and are more quiet with a better selection of power-supply,signal components,and ground schemes that take all these amps to level unheard of in the 1960s.
The Macs run closer to class B and draw much less at idle where the Deuce runs in class A at idle. I run a pair of Citation 2s in mono driving a pair of Martin Logan CLXs from 55hz on up and the subs of course handle the bottom end below 55hz..
Anyway,I find a lot of sonic similarities with the Macs and the Citations because they both lean on correctness in their sonic patterns but arrive at it in a different way..
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Current McIntosh MC275 MK Vl nt - Michael Samra 19:22:03 02/15/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.