Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

First GW score in years

I've long ago given up finding any audio deals at our local goodwill. Typically all I see there is junk rack components priced like they were McIntosh.

I do still go occasionally to look for records and CD's and while there this morning I spotted some speakers that looked better than the typical junk. Sure enough, it's a pair of DCM monitors. No label on the back and couldn't get the grill off at the store but the price is $9.21 for the pair. I figure I can't go wrong for less than 10 bucks. I pick one up and hear a clunking like a large loose object inside. I figure it's likely something that fell in the port but who knows. I get to the counter and find there is a President's Day sale and all donated stuff is 25% off so now the pair is less than 6 bucks.

Get them home and pull the grills to see perfect looking drivers. Label indicates they are CX-17's. Cabinets are scuffed on the bottom but otherwise excellent. Pull the back panel and find a little person toy inside that was the cause of the clunking. No time to hook them up today but I suspect they will work fine. Plenty of cobwebs in the ducts make it look like they have been in sitting in a garage or attic for years. Look forward to hearing them.

Edits: 02/15/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - First GW score in years - Ogsarg 14:11:47 02/15/16 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.