Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Yes

The 4xx series all are two way speakers with a dome tweeter and a woofer of around 6.5 (close to 7) inches. They are fairly small bookshelf speakers, around 19 inches tall, if memory serves. As the years went on, the cabinets seemed to get lighter, and changes were made to the drivers. The L400 and L470 are both listed in the 1986 pricelist, so they were sold at the same time. They have the same size drivers, but the L400 has a much smaller cabinet, which some say affects the bass response adversely. The L420 is an earlier speaker, and after the L470 time wise, came a revamp of the ADS lineup which gave us the L7e, a similar sized bookshelf speaker with a new woofer and a non-sticky dome tweeter.
I also own an early pair of ADS speakers that are simply marked 400, with no "L". They are also 2 way bookshelf speakers with the same size woofers and sticky tweeters like the L420 and L470. With similar sized cabinets as well. Though these 400's had foam surrounds on the woofers rather than the usual butyl rubber. Apparently, the early ADS speakers did have foam woofer surrounds but my understanding is that they quickly switched to the rubber. I also have a pair of ADS 500 speakers, which again, would be in the family of the L520 and L570. These, however do have rubber woofer surrounds...
--Matt
"When you think everything is someone else's fault, you will suffer a lot."
--Dalai Lama

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.