Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: One simple solution . . .

..... & my search is unexpectedly over, just like that (hopefully..... best laid plans of mice 'n men & all that jazz, ya know.....) by just half an hour ago coming across a local (close enough, anyways) pair of '79 Advent/4s in very good condition, refoamed just a couple of years ago. I talked to the seller on the phone, who promised to hold them for me until he has the time for me to go over & pick them up on Thursday. These were my sentimental choice, as I actually bought a set new back around 1980 when I was a young man. I had just enough money at the time for a bottom line mid-fi setup, which consisted of the entry level Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp & a Phillips turntable, which left me shy of the cash to purchase my preferred at the time Large or Smaller Advents. Consequently, I wound up (happily, it turned out) with these Advent/4s until they were replaced a couple of years later with the Dynaco A-25s.
Only problem is, I set my monetary limit at $49.50 & this guy wants $50! I'll do my best to talk him down, but if that turns out not to be doable, I guess I'll have to pass on them & keep looking.
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. They may very well come into play at some not so future date, but whether or not that turns out to be so, I'm glad to have accumulated the associated additional knowledge & introduction to some relatable speakers I hadn't previously known much about.
P.S. - I'd still like to know the difference between the ADS 400, L400, L420 & L470, if someone could/would let me know.

Edits: 01/31/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.