Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Why Vintage Speakers?

Well, since you asked, this is how the story goes:
Being 65 years old, the golden age of "universal" high quality home stereos (the 70's, of course) was a close contemporary of mine. After a few initial years spent with a set of Large Advents back then, I'd been living with and enjoying my "mid-fi" setup of Dynaco A-25s driven by my '76 Kenwood KA-6100 Amp for many decades before storing them away for another day about 8 years ago (another story). Upon my retirement & consequent change in lifestyle to different degrees, I had initially intended upon setting them up again as is/was. The process made it apparent to me, though, that my present bedroom, where I want this system (the living room is currently & for anytime in the foreseeable future, being setup & utilized as a home recording studio) is too small to handle the A-25s, physically & sonically (especially the bass), as the room is a meager 8x10. Since I would be looking for smaller bookshelf speakers as a substitute, I decided to make a move into the modern world & find a new set that met my needs. While the modern speakers I've thus encountered are fine"r" for Classical & Jazz (after extensive research & as much in person trial as I could reasonably manage, I've settled on the Kef Q100s), my main listening lines at this time, they just don't cut it when it comes to my familial classic rock tunes.
Whether or not those old East Coast sound boxes were better or worse at technical accuracy than other newer more advanced types/designs, my old familiar melodies sound odd on these new fangled contraptions, I want the old vibe back! Probably partially due to the fact that they were recorded with the equipment of the day in mind, of course, & partially due to the fact that it's just the way I remember, treasure, & expect them to sound. Consequently, I intend for these admittedly "lesser" A-10s or Advent/3s to share amp space with my Kefs on the B channel of my newly acquired Marantz PM6005, to be called into service when the rock needs ta roll, or set them up side by side with the Kenwood if sonics so demand.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.