Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

don't expect it to sound "tube like" :-P

Back when those products were new, the manufacturers' trumpeted "pure, clear transistor sound" and went out of their way to say that the new, big thing DIDN'T sound like tubes!

No, they don't.

Assuming (???) it's a capacitor-coupled amplifier (i.e., there are large-value output capacitors to remove DC from the speaker outputs), it WILL benefit greatly from new output capacitors. Indeed, it would likely benefit from the replacement of many of its capacitors (especially electrolytics) -- is it worth the effort and/or expense? Not really, but it could be a labor of love for someone.

It's worth $60 if it is in good cosmetic & working order, I'd opine (if barely). Check to be sure that the transistors are all silicon -- the earlier germanium transistors may (???) have sounded a little better, but they're very fragile and unreplaceable at this late date.

As a postscript, the tuner section may be pretty good. I don't know much about this model (I do have a fairly similar Pioneer SX-1500T, FWIW, see below), but some of the earliest ss receivers from Pioneer and others, due to the lack of good "high frequency" transistors, used hybrid tuner front ends, with Nuvistor tubes. Whether hybrid or not, I've generally found many of the early ss receivers to have better-than-average tuner sections -- if that matters at all to you.

SX-1500T
all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.