Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Tube sound - how much is due to the caps?

After a lot of back and forth and a lot of digressions, here is the best answer to my question. This quote is from the last paragraph of the paper on capacitors recommended by Jim McShane (Thanks again, Jim)

After we had gone through all of the above exercises and exorcised our complete system of unnecessary or poor-quality capacitors, the total degree of improvement was greater than any other improvement measure ever employed. With no capacitors (or clean capacitors), you begin to hear the music in a new light, one which is much more like the sound of the real thing. In fact, you will be able to differentiate subtleties you never before even realized existed. Your system simply becomes a new system, in terms of resolution and definition. The "solid-state sound" we've all heard discussed may be largely due to lousy electrolytics—which by and large never got used in the signal path in the tube days.

If you have not read the article, I join Jim in highly recommending it. I'll probably replace the smaller electrolytics with polypropylene film, and only use bypass on the very large ones. (like the 47 uF in the preamp)

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.