Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The NAD is contemporary with a Dynaco Mk3, is it?

"Better caps provide more transparency and top end resolution." Your comment. Since tube amps use better quality caps than the typical SS amp, doesn't that mean a qualitative edge for a tube amp over SS?

I also thing you're attributing things to me that I have not said. I have said that the higher source impedance of tube amps does interact with the impedance of the speaker to form a frequency dependent voltage divider. However, I have also stated in this forum that it only works with a speaker who's impedance varies by 4 or 5 to 1 from minimum to maximum. Your electrostatics are not a suitable test. If you doubt this, look at some of the amplifier tests in Stereophile, where the interaction shows up clearly in the amp's frequency response when measured with a simulated speaker load. It's a premise that is well proven and follows from basic EE theory. John Atkinson wrote an article on it, and it was in their archives. I can e mail you a copy if you can't find it; but I'll need your current e mail.

However, that's not enough. Even if you EQ out that frequency response shift, (and I have) there is still some remaining difference in the sound. I'm simply suggesting that the inherently better caps might be part of the answer.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.