Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The NAD is contemporary with a Dynaco Mk3, is it?

If you read back over the many replies, hardly anybody addresses the original question.

Perhaps it is because we don't agree with your analysis of what constitutes "tube sound". You find it to be a quantitative FR balance thing where others find it to be of a qualitative nature. For me, it is a level of linearity where the music exhibits superior depth retrieval and focus. Adding resistors to my old Stasis amp to "simulate" the higher source resistance did absolutely nothing to improve its ability to float voices in space like the VTLs. It may have changed the frequency balance a touch here and there, but that's it.

Returning to your question, the type of caps affect the sound when in the signal path of any amplifier. Better ones provide more transparency and top end resolution. Bypassing the 'lytics with more linear films is a partial step in that direction. The sound of caps is not a tubes vs SS question.

Indeed, the sound of the very best SS and tube gear today has converged. Largely because solid state gear has returned to simpler topologies with less corrective feedback (if any) and tube gear uses better passive components (including output transformers) along with balanced operation and heroic power supplies.

BTW, the Audio Research REF75SE with 75 watts/channel has a 500 joule power supply. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.