Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: 'Tube sound' can be very misleading.

All very true; but nearly all tube amps have a relatively high source impedance due to the output transformer. My own experiments, and some calculations tell me that at least 70% of the difference between tube amp with output transformers and direct coupled SS amps lies with the higher source impedance of the tube amps. The other 30% or so must lie somewhere else. A lot of candidates for that remaining 30% have been suggested; but many don't hold up.

One of the differences is that many tube amps have no input coupling cap, and the input goes directly to a tube's control grid, so you have a very high input impedance and minimal interaction with the preamp and interconnect's properties.

Film caps are a good idea in tube amps; but not practical in SS amps. I do add bypass caps to my power supply caps in my SS amps, and some commercial amps I have already had them.

It's good this thread is getting lots of opinions - that's why I posted in the first place.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.