Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I rarely disagree with you but....

You are throwing out a generalized statement that I think is just plain out dated - sorry.

After years of tweaking with capacitors in both my "trash" and "good" gear, I've over come some preconceived prejudices and misconceptions that have simply been perpetuated for years.

And that is that a given capacitor will work (sound) different, in different circuit designs. Sometimes a film does work and sometimes a electrolytic works better.

I first realized this when I was tweaking the CRAP out of a Marantz 3600 preamp. I tried like hell to stuff hundreds of dollors in film caps into that thing. But in the end it truly was a ""GOOD"" electrolytic that was needed.

I also think the urban myth has been perpetuated by that fact that older electrolytics DID sound like crap! But newer generation lytics are actually VERY nice sounding. I seem to lean towards the Nichicons. Clean, well balanced and Cheap (like 45 cents a cap - how could you go wrong?)

Sorry
charlie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.