Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Tube sound - how much is due to the caps?

In trying to describe the sound after installing the bypass caps in my NAD C350, it dawned on me that the descriptors I was using also fit "tube sound". So the sound of my modded C350 could be described as "tubey". Then, I realized that tube gear doesn't use electrolytic coupling caps. So, how much of "tube sound" Vs "SS sound" is due to the difference in caps?

I know there are numerous other reasons for the differences, so please, just focus on the coupling caps.

OK, an anecdote. Many years ago, a friend gave me an Acoustech Mk IV solid state integrated amp. It had been assembled from a kit, and modified by engineers and technicians at Fisher's Long Island labs. They had added electrolytic caps to bypass certain resistors for stability, and then bypassed the electrolytics with 0.068 uF film caps. It had a very "tubey" sound, which I always associated with the output coupling cap - but maybe not?

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Tube sound - how much is due to the caps? - Bold Eagle 06:58:28 12/13/15 (55)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.