Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Do I have this right?....Electros vs. Film Caps...

Sometimes, electros can be replaced with film caps for very good or better results. However, as Bold Eagle pointed out, the advantage of technical merit may not always be the sonic advantage.

Today's available replacement electrolytics are definitely better than in past vintages; especially for signal coupling and bypass duties. Anyone who has tried the Elna Silmic II has raved about them favorably. The only caveats with them are to buy genuine units from trusted vendors and to expect a bit more warmth or sweetness compared to the Nichicon or Matsushita(Panasonic) electros listed as "audiophile " or "audio grade" replacements. Another warning is that large cap values can be large in size.

Much has been written online about sonic advantages and comparisons of the new breed of electro replacements available today. Google search Elna Silmic or Nichicon FG or KZ for comparison opinions. The current consensus seems to be: Elna Silmic II for most tubelike, lush and 3D; Elna Cerafine for HF openness and LF articulation but forward with crisp mids, smooth but not lush; Panasonic FC for dry sound or neutral but 2D and not 3D; Nichicon FG (Muse) or KZ series for neutrality and clean sound; least colored and more 3D than Panasonics. Nichicon ES have even more 3D then the KZ series...Opinions are just that; certainly beware but recognize that some of these posts were done by folks looking for the finest sound for their vintage ss units. Nobody had anything bad to say about the Elna Silmic or Silmic II. Mouser and Digi-Key as well as Nebraska Surplus tend to have many values of many types on hand reasonably...

When it comes to input caps or coupling caps that are of low values (under 20 uf), I always prefer a film cap if size permits. When replacing caps or trying different caps, remember that they do require some break-in time to sound their best; time passing musical signals through them. Make any sound quality judgement after a few hours of music has passed through the new caps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.